Sunday, October 5, 2014

Pandan Sponge Cupcakes with Gula Melaka Swiss Meringue Buttercream - Take 2


I made Pandan Sponge Cakes again today. Simply because I can't believe I can't get more pandan juice! 

Using more tricks I found online, I decided to add more water and use my Philips blender instead. The only thing about making pandan juice/extract in this manner is that you have to refrigerate the juice you've squeezed out of the blended pandan leaves, and let the pandan extract settle to the bottom. Then, pour out the water and only use the left over pandan extract at the bottom.





After squeezing the juice out of the pandan leaves once, I threw them back into the blender, added more water, whizzed and squeezed more juice out of them.  I read that you can do it 3 times (depends on your threshold since the extract gets more diluted with each turn) but I only did it twice because my hands were too tired.

I left some cakes unfrosted since my dad seems to be allergic to sugar

I used the same recipe as the previous time. In fact, I didn't even make the buttercream again though I had to re-whisk it as it had separated. I just took a bit of the buttercream, melted it in the microwave (on high for 10 secs) and streamed it into the remaining buttercream while whisking it.


And it became REALLY smooth. I'm in love.

Smooth Gula Melaka Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Note to self: The author didn't lie when she said you HAD to use Hokkaido cupcake liners. When I used normal cupcake paper (my parents suggested that since they felt it was a waste to use such pretty cupcake holders on them LOL), the centres SUNK.


REVIEW: The cakes are MUCH better using pure pandan extract (i.e. 10g). Yummy and the cupcakes are in a pretty natural green. Love them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...