Wednesday, October 22, 2014

No Knead Bread - Cinnamon Rolls

So last night, I was fretting over what I should bake today, because it's a PUBLIC HOLIDAY today! 

I asked mom, but she didn't have any suggestions either. I did, however, learn (last night) that mom doesn't like chocolate desserts very much either. She likes light cakes, not the dense stuff.

Surprisingly, mom always packs the brownies to Jie's house when I make them. Either (1) she likes brownies or (2) she brings them for Jia.

After some surfing, I decided on Cinnamon Rolls. 



Being the lazy girl, I figured I'd make No Knead Bread. There's one that's been in my to-bake list for a while now.

During my inspiration surfing session last night, I saw a post on Pininterest with this cute way of making cinnamon rolls - roll it up, and instead of slicing it all the way through, use a pair of scissors to snip the roll and pull alternate pieces to the side. 

I much prefer making cinnamon rolls this way. It is much easier and cleaner. 

Although a strange thing happened. The dough or filling seemed to liquify and started to flood the bottom of the bread. :| I wonder if it's the reaction between the sugar and the wet dough, or the melted margarine that I brushed onto the dough before adding the cinnamon sugar. 

Nonetheless, it came out nice and crispy, perhaps because it created caramel. :)



RECIPE
~ Adapted from Chef Tess
I halved the recipe. 

Ingredients:
222g bread flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp active dry yeast
150g warm water (under 110 degrees F)

Method:
Just mix all the ingredients together, and let it rise covered for 10-12h at room temperature. (I kept it in a cold oven overnight)

Once it has raised overnight, we have two options:

  1. Form into bread / buns / rolls / cinnamon rolls, etc, OR 
  2. Keep it in the fridge for up to 7 days. Bring it to room temperature to use for bread or pizza etc. It takes about 45 minutes to an hour to get it up to room temperature (70 degrees F). 
According to the original recipe, if you form the dough into a loaf, place on a lightly oiled baking stone or in an 8 inch loaf pan that has been greased. Allow to rise in a warm room until doubled, about 2 hours. 

Bake at 375 degrees F for 35-40 minutes (meat thermometer will register 165 degrees F or more). 

-

Reviews
Me: The bread's a little tough - kind of expected since there's no fat in it? Either that, or I overbaked it.

Also found the bread a little dry. I may really have overbaked it (the internal temperature was about 180F).

Dad: Seemed to like it because the bottoms and top ended up quite crispy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...