Saturday, November 15, 2014

Orange Barley Flour Pancakes with Strawberry Compote


So it was a pancake kind of morning. And once again, I wanted to play with Barley Flour. It could have been coconut flour, but I just felt like using Barley Flour again this week.

Since it wouldn't be fun if I just made the same flavour and I had some Ceres orange juice left in the fridge, I decided on Orange Barley Flour Pancakes!

Photo taken by my sis. It's fun to study other people's photos. She loves close up shots :)

I used less liquid today as I only had 1/2 cup of orange juice and I forgot to make up the remainder with water.  As a result, the pancakes turned out thick, dense and a little hard. (I've adjusted the amount of liquid in the recipe below.)

I also decided to pair the pancakes up with some simple strawberry compote. Beginning to love fruit compotes with pancakes as it gives them a yummy flavour. This is actually very important since my pancakes doesn't have any form of dairy in them and so different compotes makes them more interesting (as opposed to ALWAYS pairing the pancakes with just maple syrup).


This is my favourite shot of the pancakes. Again, a shot by my sis. Love the oozy looking sauce. Yums.

RECIPE
~ Adapted from Dinner with Julie

Makes 8 small pancakes

Ingredients
Pancakes
1 cup barley flour 
1 tsp baking powder 
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup orange juice + 1/2 cup water (adjusted the amount of water so it should give you a rather flowy batter)
1 large egg 
1 Tbsp canola oil 
Zest of 1 orange

Strawberry Compote
3 handfuls of strawberries (probably about half a cup)
4 tsp sugar (adjust to your preferred level of sweetness)

Instructions
  1. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the barley flour, baking powder and salt. Add the milk, egg, oil and zest, and whisk just until combined.
  2. Set a pan over medium-high heat and oil the pan using a paper towel. 
  3. When the pan is hot, reduce the heat to medium-low. pour in one ladle full of the batter (actually, it's really up to you how big you want your pancakes to be) and cook until bubbles start to break through and the surface looks matte. Flip with a thin spatula and cook until golden on the other side. Repeat with the remaining batter.
  4. While the pancakes are cooking, simmer the strawberries and sugar until the strawberries soften. Adjust the amount of sugar based on the level of sweetness you prefer. 
  5. Serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...