Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Barley Flour Pancakes with Blueberry Sauce




Another Sunday, another wheat-free experiment. (yes, my post is late.)

Today, I had a sudden craving for pancakes when I got up. And I thought, Barley Flour Pancakes seemed like a good idea. I had no idea whether it was possible, but a quick google search showed that it was more than possible. :)

I chose the recipe that seemed the easiest because I was feeling lazy (I didn't want to bust out my hand mixer to whisk any eggs).

My parents weren't really used to the earthy, nutty taste of the barley flour initially. However, matching the pancakes with blueberry sauce (and butter for my parents) seemed to work. All the pancakes were wiped out at one go. ^^



A rare sit-down breakfast with dad and mom ^^
The blueberry sauce was crazy simple to make - simply put some blueberries and sweetener in a pot and heat it up. I could, however, have added more sweetener to it since blueberries are somewhat naturally sour. I've doubled the amount of maple syrup in the recipe below.

Only made a little blueberry sauce, but it seemed to be just the right amount! 

RECIPE
~ Adapted from Dinner with Julie

Makes 8 small pancakes

Ingredients
Pancakes
1 cup barley flour 
1 tsp baking powder 
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup water 
1 large egg 
1 Tbsp grapeseed oil 

Blueberry Sauce
4 handfuls of blueberries (probably about half a cup)
4 Tbsp maple syrup (taste it as you go along)

Instructions
  1. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the barley flour, baking powder and salt. Add the water, egg and oil and whisk just until combined.
  2. Set a pan over medium-high heat and oil the pan using a paper towel. 
  3. When the pan is hot, reduce the heat to medium-low. pour in one ladle full of the batter (actually, it's really up to you how big you want your pancakes to be) and cook until bubbles start to break through and the surface looks matte. Flip with a thin spatula and cook until golden on the other side. Repeat with the remaining batter.
  4. While the pancakes are cooking, simmer the blueberries and maple syrup until the blueberries soften. Adjust the amount of maple syrup based on the level of sweetness you prefer. 
  5. Serve!

Lovely pancakes with delicious blueberry sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...