Saturday, September 3, 2011

Panda Bread and Lemon Chocolate Chip Meringues

I tried my hands at the Panda Bread again cos it popped up while I was surfing. The first time I tried it, the dough wasn't really cooked in the middle (the plain portion). I'm guessing it's because I didn't knead the dough properly.

The next time, I tried to use my favourite No Knead recipe before, but it didn't quite work out either - the dough was too wet and so I couldn't get the shape proper.

This time, I crazily kneaded the dough (I think I spent almost an hour kneading the bread). And guess what?????? The bread was fully cooked! YAY!!! It was hard work, but totally worth it.

But I learnt something today - the texture of the dough changes as I knead it. It starts by being very tough. Then slowly, it becomes softer and smoother. So, the hard work is totally necessary.

The simple way, of course, is to buy a mixer to do most of this hard work for me.


I made the meringue as I had egg whites left over (the bread only uses egg yolks). My own recipe that I made up as I went along. Not too bad, if I say so myself. Can be a bit less sweet though. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...